The Youth Community Action Network (Y-CAN) is for young people ages 13 to 25 who live or go to school in West Windsor, Downtown Windsor or Leamington. Youth co-design solutions to help more kids succeed in school and solve neighbourhood issues.
Whats in it for you?
- A VOICE: Have your say on the issues you and your peers face everyday.
- BUILD YOUR RESUME: Network with youth and adults with similar interests.
- LEARN: social design and watch your ideas come to life in the community
- EARN: $14/ hour for attending monthly meetings
- VOLUNTEER: hours for high school graduation requirements
If not selected to be a member of the Y-CAN at this time, the individual’s application and contact information will be saved for future opportunities.
FOLLOW ON Instagram @WEProsperUS
SPACE IS LIMITED, so those who participate feel valued and comfortable to contribute at meetings.
You don’t have to be a student, but if you are a student, it’s not about grades, it’s about sharing your own experiences and ideas. The group talks about the challenges they face to graduate high school and get a post-secondary education. Members will work with community service providers to develop programs and services that will help more youth succeed.
FREE TRANSPORTATION, childcare, and other supports in order to attend meetings.
Y-CAN MEMBER RESPONSIBILITIES
- Attending monthly meetings lasting 2-3 hours each. We are looking for participants to commit to one year of participation.
- Communicating absences to the Y-CAN Mentor.
- Giving input at meetings.
- Signing Y-CAN Non-Disclosure Agreement and Terms of Reference and and following its Guiding Principles.